Computer Science and Engineering | Aditya College of Engineering & Technology

Water Conservation Facilities

Tanks and bunds (open ponds)

EAST VIEW OF POND 1

NORTH VIEW OF POND 1



EAST VIEW OF POND 2

SOUTH VIEW OF POND 2



There are two tanks (open ponds) on campus where the rainwater from various parts of the campus is collected and stored. Rainwater from building rooftops is also channelled into these open ponds. Aerators present in ponds maintain suitable dissolved oxygen for the purpose of aquatic life. The habitats within and around the ponds serve as a sanctuary for swans and other species.



Maintenance of water bodies and distribution systems on the campus

OVER HEAD TANK AT C.V.RAMAN BLOCK

OVER HEAD TANK AT VISVESVARAYA BLOCK



R.O. PLANT-1

DRINKING WATER POINT



Well maintained overhead water tanks were constructed to supply water for various purposes like Restrooms, Laboratories etc. The capacity of the overhead tanks at Visveswaraya block and C.V.Raman block are 90,000 litres and 45,000 litres, respectively. These two tanks are filled twice a day with groundwater through a borewell of depth 330 ft.

Only reverse osmosis water is available for drinking on campus; we have three R.O. units, each with a treatment capacity of 2000 litres per hour.Drinking water is provided through the refrigerator on the top floor, and chilled water is distributed to all supply points on each floor.

Groundwater is used on campus and is piped onto raised tanks for individual blocks using a 7.5 Horsepower bore well pump. The water from the elevated tanks is used for various purposes, including gardening, RO plant supplies, and washroom and laboratories supply. The consumption and capacity of the above tanks and wastewater produced by the RO plant are approximated in the table below.

  Vishvasaraya Block C.V.Raman block
Capacity of overhead tank 90,000 litres 45,000 litres
Filling of tank Thrice a day Twice a day
Gardening usage (Inner garden area) 20,000 liters 15,000 liters
Wash rooms usage 40,000 liters 30,000 liters
Supply of raw water to RO plant(3 No) 1,60,000 liters/day
RO water generated(3 No) 48,000 liters/day
Reject RO water generated(3 No) 1,12,000 liters/day

Domestic water usage:
All domestic water needs, such as toilet flushing, gardening, and floor cleaning, are supplied by overhead tanks located within the two blocks. The gardening water required for the inner garden area is approximately 20,000 litres for Vishvasaraya and 15,000 litres for C.V.Raman blocks, respectively. In terms of washroom consumption, the Vishvasaraya and C.V.Raman blocks use around 40,000 and 30,000 litres of water, respectively.

Supply to RO plants:
Three RO plants are located on campus, each with a treatment capacity of 2000 litres per hour. Each of the three RO plants operates for eight hours every day, consuming around 1,60,000litres of raw water. The treated water was roughly 30% of the raw supply, resulting in approximately 48,000 litres of treated water per day. The remaining 70% wastewater from the RO plant is used for gardening in the outer garden area, with more mango trees.

Recharge Pits

Top view of Recharge pit

Side view of Recharge pit



Strom water pipe connected into the recharge pit


The recharge pit was located at the northeast corner of the inner garden area of Visveswaraya block,and its dimensions are 6 X 6 X 6 feet (L X B X D). The rainwater from the building top roofs is collected into this recharge pit, and excess water is conveyed to the open ponds through drains.



Rain Water Harvesting

Rain water harvesting through rectangular water pit at C.V. Raman Block

Side view of rectangular water pit



Rain water harvesting through recharge pit VisveswarayaBlock

Rain water harvesting through open ponds throughout the campus



A recharge pit harvested the rainwater coming from the top roof of the Visveswaraya building. Similarly, a rectangular water pit has dimensions length of 29 ft, and a width of 9 ft is located at the northeast corner of the building. The rainwater pipe is connected to this rectangular water pit, and rainwater is harvested.



BoreWell OR OpenWell Recharge



Waste Water Recycling

R.O. PLANT 2

DRINKING WATER POINT AT GROUND FLOOR



WASTE WATER COLLECTION POINT IN GARDEN AREA


The wastewater from the drinking water points is directly drained through the waste pipe connected to the inner garden area, and the wastewater from the R.O. plant is utilized for the outer garden area. Approximately 1,12,000litres per day of R.O. reject water was sent to the large exterior garden with more mango trees, and excess quantity may be sent to the agricultural forms around the campus.